Monday 31 August 2009

Read 101 books...

Have finished reading another book. "Awight Now" by Michael Barrymore (17/101). Very interesting read. Doesn't have a lot of nice things to say about tabloid journalists. Tend to agree with him on that point.

Several years ago, when my young nephew died suddenly (ill health, but it is not my story to tell) his parents wanted their grief to remain private. (understandably) The local journalists phoned everyone in the local phone book with the same surname asking if they were related to him and did they want to make a statement?. I have never been so angry in all my life, and told the reporter so, in no uncertain terms. Since then I have very rarely read a newspaper.

Anyway, enjoyed the book and would recommend it. Was at the library on Saturday so have picked up some more reading material.
  1. Octopussy & the Living Daylights by Ian Fleming - only 139 pages for both stories wonder where they got enough for 2 movies.
  2. More than just a Hairdresser by Nia Pritchard - pretty jacket cover caught my eye.
  3. The five people you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom - title reeled me in.
  4. The Ballroom on Magnolia Street by Sharon Owens - liked the blurb
  5. Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke - liked the last one of hers I read, so want to read the rest.
  6. The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult - this one's a talking book, I thought I'd listen to it whilst trying to catch up on a mountain of ironing.

I have a strange way (or maybe not) of selecting books. Often it's the jacket that catches my eye first, sometimes it's the title, then if the blurb sounds good it goes on my list.

3 comments:

apieceofwood said...

I love The Five People You Meet in Heaven - one of my favourite books ever.. hope you enjoy it!

Chaotic Kerri said...

Thanks, am reading Ian Fleming first but will read it next and let you know what I think. How do you choose which books to read?

apieceofwood said...

I either stick to authors I like or go off recommendations from people...