Wednesday 30 September 2009

First and Last

So reports for duty on Tuesday, have to tell them how much money I have on me (security?) am given a key card so as to be able to operate the till. I say hello to another member of staff who asks me if I can see to the magazine returns (no problem have done this hundreds of times in previous jobs). Go behind the counter to stack some returns and the staff member says "cheerio I'm off to do some shopping."

That's it I'm on my own!. There is a supervisor on duty but she is through the back in the office "just buzz if you need me". WTF - Is this the norm nowadays? I would never have expected someone to cope on their own on the first day when I trained staff. I'm all for not looking over someones shoulder, and allowing them to get on with it but I felt as if I'd been thrown overboard without a life jacket.

The store was really busy and I got myself so worked up trying to serve everyone quickly so as not to get queues building up. I was buzzing the supervisor every 5 mins it felt like and people were getting so impatient. I kept apologizing and saying it was my first day could they please bear with me (until I was told not to tell customers it was my first day because they might take advantage of me?)

Some customers were changing their minds about what they wanted, they had some cigarettes on special, and after you'd scanned the brand they'd asked for they would say "Oh whats that ones, I'll have them instead" not really a problem you'd think but I'd have to buzz again to get an entry voided. (we are not allowed to do it ourselves).

Didn't get my break till 3.45 and even then only got 5 mins. I came out at 5p.m and thought right never again.

Perhaps I am being a big girls blouse and perhaps I am not in touch with how things are in the workplace but quite frankly I don't care. I would never treat a trainee member of staff like that so why should I accept it. The staff I met were friendly enough, but the job is obviously not for me!

No comments: