Friday 29 May 2009

Return from Oz

My niece comes home today after 3 months touring Oz and NZ. It's got me thinking how great it is for young people(and the not so young) to be able to take these gap year type trips. In my day only the very intelligent or rich were encouraged to stay on at school and go to University(clearly I was neither, although I did make it to Uni eventually). Now everyone has the chance which is excellent. Same with the travelling. I am so delighted that those that want are usually able to manage some form of backpacking trip.

My niece worked damn hard at uni not only getting a first but working outside uni and saving like mad to make the most of her trip. Judging by the photos and her travel blog her trip has been everything she wanted and more. She has done amazing things (sky diving, swimming with dolphins, flying a plane to name but a few) that will stay with her all her life. I can't wait to catch up with her and hear more.

I am slightly jealous, who wouldn't be, but more than anything I am so proud of her. She is an amazing young woman with the world at her feet and I know whatever she does she will make a great success of it. So welcome home Reezer, we've missed you heaps and love you tons.

1 comment:

GGOM said...

I am of the same era -Uni was for the better off! I would have dearly loved to have traveled Europe and NZ etc. Not sure of a year out, I would have preferred 3 years out. I only managed a week before starting work after leaving school - sob sob.