Wednesday 20 January 2010

On-Line Grocery Shopping Part 1

So, as I said no car has meant moving into uncharted territory for me. I have a mistrust of on-line grocery shopping but I was willing to ignore my inner voices (no I don't need treatment for them) and give it a go.

First up Tesco. When we lived in Montrose, Tesco was our main supermarket so we shopped there a lot and generally I was very happy with their products and prices. My nearest big store here is across the other side of town but they deliver in my area so in for a penny.... as they say.

Found their site quite easy to use, found the special offers easily and selected my shopping. Bought a large amount of yogurts and the like and opted for the green delivery (no bags except for chemical products like bleach etc) so I was doing my bit.

Prompt delivery right at the beginning of chosen time slot. Driver nice but needed a hand to carry the shopping up the path as it was coming in trays and I had to empty them quickly so he could take them away again. (this was my chosen delivery option, but it was an awful messing about)

Driver hands me my sheet "only one substitute" he says but, as I have just emptied all the trays on to my sideboard in the front hall, I have noticed that there are a few things that I didn't remember ordering.

So off he goes and I now have to transport my shopping, armfuls at a time through to my kitchen (now to be fair he would have brought the trays to my kitchen for me, but the dogs were already hyper having been charging round the living room chasing each other, and I didn't think Tesco would take kindly to having one of their drivers slobbered all over!)

Consults my delivery sheet - all present and correct, off to a good start. Checks it against my computer order - 7 substitutes!!! I know it's petty but if I want a certain flavour or brand I expect to get it. Then when I went to put away my shopping I noticed that my yogurts (all 20 of them) went out of date within 2 days!! Now my lot love yogurt (except Babes fussy sod) but even we can't eat it that quickly, after all it was supposed to be a weeks supply.

You would think that the picker would look at the list and think "there's a lot of yogurts on this list better check for long dates" Am I expecting too much? I thought the whole point of shopping on-line was to make life easier. I am disappointed and thinking I should have listened to my inner voices!

Mr Tesco you will not be getting my on-line grocery shopping again, too many substitutes without notification and very poor product picking.
Chaotic Kerri Score 5/10

2 comments:

apieceofwood said...

I don't like online shopping for exactly that reason, short dates, subsitutes and crappy crappy fresh veg that I owould not pick

Cass@TheDiaryofaFrugalFamily said...

It's the short dates that put me off online shopping with Tescos aswell - I find Asda to be much better in my area.